April 22, 2017
The #Media4EU editorial series interviewed more than 30 media experts from six countries about the parallel between the crises facing the sector and those facing Europe itself, as well as ways to foster better cooperation (see EURACTIV Special Report #Media4EU: Can innovation beat the crises facing the EU and media?).
Several issues feed discussion at European level too: fake news and populism, shrinking business models, and the review of the Digital Single Market.
Solutions could include a strategy for the media sector, dealing with the Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon (GAFA) dominance, cooperation across borders, and exchanging media professionals.
Moreover, this LinksDossier refers to all the interviews that have been published, as well as a bibliography of relevant articles, policy documents and studies used for research.
In this perspective, #Media4EU led to the Stars4Media (Erasmus4Media) pilot project (see brochure), proposed by the European Parliament to be included in 2018 EP budget. This initiative is an exchange programme for young media professionals, aiming at building cross-border skills for the participants, boosting innovation initiatives, developing sustainable business models, and fostering efficient cooperation between media organisations (see the list of moral supports).
- PARTICIPANTS: Young media professionals from editorial, social media and commercial sides, with experience in their media organisation and a promising future.
- Creation of “thematic waves”: pairing like-minded media
- Selection of “rising stars” based on profile and ideas
- Matchmaking workshops for cooperative projects
- Mutual exchange: 1-3 months in another European media and vice-versa
- Follow-up and new project development
Engage in the conversation!