February 13, 2017
The #Media4EU research has come up with two pilot programmes for professionals in the media sector:
Erasmus4media for young professionals & Media4Europe for top management.
Erasmus4media could be launched soon, under clear media guidance
TARGET: Young professionals from the editorial, social media and commercial sides, with solid experience in their media organisation and a promising future
PROGRAMME: 1. Selection of “rising stars”
2. matchmaking workshops for cooperative projects
3. 1-3 months in another European media
4. Implementation and career promotion.
Media4Europe: could foster strategic cooperation
TARGET: For Editors, Publishers, media top-management
PROGRAMME: Initially, provide guidance to Erasmus4media. Later: Study visits abroad, benchmarking events and meetings, exchange of views with alumni of Erasmus4media programme
The following challenges may be tackled:
- Many journalism schools and awards already exist , but student skills are not the main hurdle to media innovation
- Some editorial networks exist, typically not sustainable: they miss social media and…revenue models!
- Ability of journalists, marketing and social media managers to cooperate:
- across “silos”,
- Across borders (production & syndication to large clients). Notably languages (including English), team leadership and international culture
- Ability of top management to lead fast change across editorial & commercial boundaries, notably deeper social media knowledge and shift towards internet & events products rather than print.
- Most media ‘groups’ are too small to set up their own HR, exchange and innovation programmes (unlike eg. Axel Springer in Silicon Valley etc.)
- Some media associations will wish for thematic exchanges/networks (like-minded media, eg. same politics, technology, same target group or topics).
We welcome your contribution!
Many experts have expressed their support informally, including professionals in fields such as the media, policy, education, NGOs and politics. If you wish to add your name to the list of our supporters, you can choose from the following options:
- Commentto this blog post with your name, affiliation and position
- Tweet us @FondEurActiv or @LeclercqEU saying ” Yes to #Erasmus4media”
- Email us with your feedback FounderOffice@euractiv.com