February 13, 2017
The #Media4EU research has triggered a pilot project for professionals in the media sector:
#Erasmus4media or #ErasMedia for young “rising stars”.
Erasmus4media could be launched soon, under clear media guidance
- TARGET: For young professionals from both the editorial, social media and commercial sides, with solid experience in their media organisation and a promising future
0. Creation of “thematic waves”, pairing like-minded media and leveraging associations.
1. Selection of “rising stars”, based on profile and ideas
2. Matchmaking workshops for cooperative projects
3. Mutual exchange: 1-3 months in another European media, and vice-versa.
4. Implementation and career promotion.
- FUNDING AND STATUS:
1. EU funding: potential pilot project prompted by MEPs, assessed by the Commission and voted as part of the 2018 budget
2. Diversified funding for other “thematic waves”, eg. foundations, corporations.
- COACHES: Editors, Publishers, media top-management
- ROLE: Initially, provide guidance to Erasmus4media. Later: Study visits abroad, benchmarking events and meetings, exchange of views with alumni of the pilot project.
The following challenges will be tackled:
- Many journalism schools and awards already exist , but student skills are not the main hurdle to media innovation
- Some editorial networks exist, typically not sustainable: they miss social media and…revenue models!
- Ability of journalists, marketing and social media managers to cooperate:
- across “silos”,
- across borders (production & syndication to large platforms). Notably languages (including English), team leadership and international culture
- Ability of top management to lead fast change across editorial & commercial boundaries, notably deeper social media knowledge and shift towards internet & events products rather than print.
- Most media ‘groups’ are too small to set up their own HR, exchange and innovation programmes (unlike eg. Axel Springer in Silicon Valley, GAFA etc.)
- Some media associations will support thematic exchanges/networks (like-minded media, eg. same politics, technology, same target group or same topics)
We welcome your contribution!
- Many experts have expressed their support informally, including professionals in fields such as the media, policy, education, NGOs and politics. If you wish to add your name to the list of our supporters, you can choose from the following options:
- Comment to this blog post with your name, affiliation and position
- Tweet us @FondEurActiv or @LeclercqEU saying ” Yes to #Erasmus4media”
- Email us with your feedback FounderOffice@euractiv.com